Wednesday, September 24, 2008

12 years of orthodontia down the drain

A couple nights ago after I brushed my teeth and got all ready for bed I remembered I needed to put my retainer in. As many of you know I have been very good about wearing my retainer every single night for the past 7 years.

Anyway, when I lifted the protective tissue off of my retainer cup (with listerine in it) low and behold there was a cockroach in there fighting for life. The cockroach appeared to have been decomposing and there was junk all over my retainer.


I immediately dumped out the cup and put the cockroach out of its misery. Then came decision time. Of course the only way to get the gross off was to boil the retainer.
So I put some water and my retainers in a cup and stuck it in the microwave. I made it about five feet before I came to my senses...you can't put retainers in the microwave. So I boiled the water and then sloshed the retainer around in it. And proceeded to brush the retainers off with toothpaste several times.

I was exceedingly pleased with myself for my problem solving ability.

And then I tried to put them in...they were warped...and so my teeth shall soon be without them...

3 comments:

Nadia Castillo said...

sadly, i suffer from roach problems too in houston. reading your story makes me feel better. thanks!

A Little bit said...

oh no~~ I'm sorry melissa! what a terrible disaster for you! I know you much you love those things. I have so many memories of you with your retainers in...

Terpsichoree said...

Oh Gah! Good for you for trying to clean it off and still use it. I'm afraid I would never be able to over come my disgust and put dead roach retainer in my mouth... I'd never beable to sleep.